July 20, 2011 Create Your Own Paleo Hybrid Recipes
Welcome to Westerner Days, Red Deerians! That means a plethora of unhealthy food such as donut burgers, deep-fried mars bars, corn-dogs, cotton candy and anything else you can think of that is loaded with fat, sugar and chemicals! Since I partook in a greasy pancake breakfast this morning, I was feeling like I needed to lighten things up for dinner.
|Enough char to last a lifetime!|
I took one of my favourite Paleo Lifestyle Recipes for Spicy Scallop Salad and switched it up for a spicy shrimp salad. Check out the original, and then try my hybrid version of the recipe! (btw, the original is amazing and gets top marks around this house!)
Shannon’s Spicy Shrimp Salad
1tsp cayenne pepper (less if you have low tolerance for heat)
1tsp freshly ground black pepper
1tsp sea salt
1lb large shrimp, fresh or thawed
3tbsp lemon juice
1tbsp Hellman’s Real Mayonnaise
1tsp Dijon mustard (did I mention that the PC brand is the best?)
pinch of cayenne pepper
2 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup hemp seed oil*
1tsp agave syrup
2 big handfuls of organic baby spinach/arugula blend (available at costco)
1/2 ripe mango, cubed
1/2 avacado, sliced
1/2 red pepper, sliced
1 shallot sliced thinly
salt & pepper to taste
2 tsp coconut oil
*if you don’t have hemp seed oil, use avacado oil or olive oil.
- Make the salads first, wash the spinach/arugula, slice the mango, avacado, red pepper & shallot. Distribute onto 2 plates (as artfully as possible hahahah)
- In a glass bowl, combine ingredients for the vinagrette by whisking together ingredients: lemon juice, mayonnaise, pinch of cayenne, Dijon, garlic, hemp seed oil, salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel. Combine the cayenne, salt and pepper and toss with the shrimps.
- In a wide frying pan, or saute pan, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat, until the oil melts and is starting to get tiny bubbles.
- Top your beautiful salad with shrimp and drizzle with the dressing – serve immediately – DELICIOUS!!!
|Sizzle…. watch the colours change – don’t overcook!|
Do try the recipes from the Paleo Lifestyle website – they’re awesome, but use them like I do, as a springboard for new healthy delicious meals than your family will LOVE!!!
|Heaven on a plate!|